Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dragonball: Evolution review

So I finally went and saw the movie today, a mere five days after its initial release (I wanted to see it on Friday but work sucks...). There were four other people there besides me and my brother. Guess I should have taken the hint. Just kidding. I liked it.

What was good

- the score
- the story idea
- the stuff from Dragonball as fan service
- "Rule" by Ayu
- the acting for the most part
- the special effects (ki blasts, Kamehameha, and Shenlong especially though Oozaru looked pretty good)

What should have been better

- the length of the movie

Only one gripe, huh? Well, it's a pretty big gripe. The whole plot felt very rushed. One minute Bulma (Emmy Rossum) was calling Yamcha (forgot the actor) names, then two scenes later they're talking and they almost kiss. Goku (Justin Chatwin) and Bulma barely have time to develop any sort of friendship, but they're magically close enough to care about each other. Goku and Chi Chi's (Jamie Chung) romance was better. They already knew each other from school, and it was obvious Goku had a huge secret crush on her. She seemed like she saw him, too, the same way his Grandpa Gohan did. So that was good there. I prefer this version of Chi Chi to the anime/manga one. Much less bitchy and spoiled, much nicer and gentler. And cool. And she was pretty cute. *Ahem* Anyway.

The climax of the movie didn't feel like a climax. It was over, and I thought to myself, oh they won didn't they? However, I did like the Oozaru idea, and I can see why they left questions about it open. Sequel potential anyone? Mai was pointless except to look good in her outfit and do some covert stuff Piccolo (James Marsters) could have done on his own if he wanted. Plus Roshi died too easily.

Emmy Rossum captured Bulma's attitude well. She felt like Bulma. Yamcha was okay. He was only missing his shyness of girls. I think he should have been a little nervous at least. I mean, he didn't have Puar so something else to make him feel like the bandit except that he was a bandit would have been good. Plus! Goku didn't say "I'm not ready for this." Fox listened to the fans on that too. Goku did still doubt himself, but it was much less than I thought. I mean, he was an angsty teenager who grew up with kids thinking he was different. In the manga he grew up alone with just Gohan. The first person he really met was Bulma so no one ever called him a freak or treated him badly. Being in high school around brats would make anyone unsure of themselves in my opinion. But he still had the general Goku attitude. And the hair (fan service). Roshi was almost perfect. He was a perv with a dirty magazine, he grabbed Bulma's ass twice, and his laugh was so Roshi. Plus his shirt was of a manga chick posing. When it came down to it, he got serious just like the manga/anime. When real danger is coming, Roshi does become serious.

Unresolved

Who was the original Oozaru?

Why did Mai take Chi Chi's blood (unless I missed it)?

What is Piccolo going to do now?

Overall, I liked the movie. It took things from Dragonball, turned it movie friendly, and put a new spin on the DB universe. It was a fresh spin, a what-if that was surprisingly better thought out than I imagined it would be. I hope they make a sequel because I'll see it. I'll probably end up owning the DVD when it comes out. If they could have slowed it down to allow for better character development, it would have been ever better. Even still, good job Hollywood. You didn't totally fuck up.

No comments: