Friday, March 14, 2008

Just a Thought

I was just thinking about the kind of creative person I am. I'm very expressive with my hands when talking and make a lot of gestures. My manager at work pokes fun at me because I flail a lot. I move when I tell a story, and do I love to tell stories. I also love taking pictures. So many times do I see something nice and bust my camera phone out and snap away. I say I don't need a camera, but I don't know what I would do without it. Back in tenth grade I explored drawing, and to my surprise, I wasn't bad. I could be good if I worked on that skill. I can also write a decent poem every once and a while.

Last but not not least, I write stories. I write a lot, so much it amazed me when I looked at my notebook of what I had typed and then printed out. Wow. It amazed me. Most of my poems are dark and depressing, but that is apparently what I know best. I am still way too young. One time my mom told me I was too young to be a serious writer when I was in high school, and it offended me. I told my creative writing teacher, and she agreed with me. But she was right. I still have so much to see and experience that will add to my creative pool and what I draw from. I don't need to be offended. I am young. I have too much to see and do. What I write now is part of who I am and part of my learning process and experience. I will always write in some form because that is part of my being that no one can take from me no matter how busy I get or how life gets in the way. Everyone starts somewhere, and everyone grows and learns. I hope someday to be able to write the way the greats do or at least better than some high school kid who is riddled with angst and unrequited love. That is who I was, and I haven't completely outgrown that yet.

Someday.

"Oh, all that I know
There's nothing here to run from
'Cause yeah everybody here's
Got somebody to lean on."

No comments: