Saturday, December 18, 2010

Of Pokemon and New Generations

So recently I have been into Pokemon again. I bought Platinum and Soul Silver before my renewed interest in the anime, but it took my original Red losing all of its data to spark this. My brother replaced the button battery (a 2032 in Energizer terms for those who need to know). Since school ended for fall term, I have put in 10 hours (1 weeks' time) on doing the quest on Red again. Currently I just beat Giovanni at Silph Company. I still do like Pokemon. I just do not like the newer generations as much.

The reason for this is because they are just pumping it out for money now. The old days were still new and exciting. Yes, the original saga in the anime was there to promote the games, but the Orange Islands league was free from this. Even Kanto and Johto were not as structured while they were promoting the games. As I read somewhere, OI gave the writers freedom, and they expanded on it. There was tons of romance (this was the pinnacle of Pokeshipping/Ash and Misty). Brock was gone (I grew to like him, but Tracey is still my fave). Yeah, Tracey was a replacement made to look as Anglo as possible since the anime was spreading to the West, but I liked him better. He was a Pokeshipper, and he was funny. Even the movie that happened in this saga (The Power of One/Pokemon 2000/Pokeshipping the Movie) was good as I previously blogged about. It had a good lesson. Team Rocker succeeded at being good (what they're best at if they would just leave the team and go their own way together). And Ash was not the only one to have a part. Tracey was kind of forgotten, but Misty and the new girl Melody were major players. Plus you finally learned the two prof's and his mom's first names, and they all were supporting characters, not just background noise.

For me, the "filler saga" was the best. It still had story that was not all game-oriented. I say this as someone who has not watched much Advanced Generation and only catches Diamond and Pearl when it's on CN in the morning and I am actually awake. I just can't get my enthusiasm up to play through Platinum. I've had that game for almost a year and have only gotten one badge and five Pokemon. I'm halfway through Red, which I booted up in August. Guess nostalgia wins for me on this.

But one look at Gen V... *sigh*

All I can say is: though, I may buy Black and/or White, the original was the best (plus a little Johto).

No comments: