Friday, June 26, 2009

Current Favorite Songs

1. “Follow Me feat. Sound Around” by Kagami Seira, the intro song for Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari or Saint Knight's Tale in English. It is half English, half Japanese. I love the lyrics, the way it fits the opening credits for the show, and the way it makes me feel when I listen to it. For now I can only hear it online as part of the show so I hope they release it some time. This is a song I wouldn't mind paying more money for (since getting singles from Japan does cost a lot to import to the States). “When you're around / Something you have makes me strong / So come follow me now / I can be your shelter forever.” UPDATE: I just found this on iTunes of all places. Awesome.

2. “Never Gonna Happen” by Lily Allen. I just love the way she tells this guy in the song that nothing will ever happen between them and how she doesn't know why in the world he keeps trying. I just think it's a fun song, even if she is being mean by also admitting to leading him on and giving false hope. “How on Earth can I be anymore obvious? / It never really did and now it's never gonna happen with the two of us.”

3. “Yamerarenai Yamerarenai” by the Japanese voice actors for the animated series Tenchi in Tokyo. It has kind of a country twang to it, and I love how it features all of the original VAs together. Once I looked up the English translation of the lyrics, I loved it even more. It perfectly captures the spirit of the show, which is more fun and less sci-fi based like the first two Tenchi series. Overall a great song to listen to while driving to work.

4. “Gravity” by German DJ/producer ATB. I fell in love with this song from just a short sample he put out on MySpace to promote his album before its release. I don't have much to say as to why it is a current fav other than that it is a really great song. “Gravity, it takes a hold of me / Takes me unwillingly away from you.”

5. “The Creationist” by Kerli. The lyrics are positive and the music uplifting. Her voice is different and fresh. I bought her album a year ago but have started to really listen to it lately. Not bad for a girl from Estonia (I actually knew where that was before she became popular, believe it or not). “And I'll keep walking when skies are gray / What ever happens was meant that way.”

No comments: