Thursday, February 7, 2013

(My Real) Statement of Purpose

I am pursuing a Masters in Education and a single subject teaching credential, which will allow me to teach in the public school system. Specifically I want to obtain an M. Ed. with a general education teaching emphasis and become authorized to teach foundational science courses as well as my specialty of biology. My career objectives are tied to much of what I learned and experienced at UCR as I would like to teach in underserved communities. Those children and parents need as many voices fighting for them as well as quality teachers who will work hard to educate their students. I also understand that there are many problems in our public education system, and I want to work with fellow educators, administrators, parents, and community members to solve these complicated and ongoing challenges. Not only do I plan on being a teacher but also a leader and a voice for my students.

Over the course of my academic studies, I have been recognized for my hard work and committment in many ways. Over my five years at Chaffey College, I was placed on the Dean's Honors List in several semesters. I graduated with Honors from Chaffey College and High Honors from UCR. Also at UCR I was on the Dean's Honors List in the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences in every term I completed from Winter 2010 through Spring 2011. Although there was no list for Summer Session in 2010, I received a 4.0 in 12 quarter units. For the academic year of 2010-11, I was placed on the Chancellor's Honors List. In December 2010, Golden Key International Honour Society indcuted me as a member. In June 2011, I received the same honor from Phi Beta Kappa by the Iota of the University of California at Riverside. I was also selected to be a Community College Intern for the Copernicus Project at UCR in 2008.

Although I have never been formally employed by an education or tutoring service, I have had experience in my personal life. As a student, I have led study groups with fellow classmates, which allowed me to learn how to help others understand material and be successful. I have also tutored friends and colleagues in subjects ranging from GED preparation to economics to biology. Again, this has been good practice for growing and refining my communication and teaching skills that will further be improved upon in the Graduate School of Education's program. Finally, I was able to give a guest lecture to a ninth grade science class as the final part of my education course at Chaffey College. For this, I incoportated level-appropriate material and information from my own research in populations biology to introduce them to biomes, the next unit of their class. Although this was done in a lower-division course, the standards for that class rivaled my experience in crafting a lesson plan in my upper division education course at UCR.

No comments: