Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Speech Communities and Cultures

Speech communities are tied to different cultures. I belong to a few different communities just as I belong to different cultures. For instance, I am a Southern California girl who says "like" and "I was all..." in place for more standard English. I also say um a lot. I can go between more formal ways of speaking, and I can talk in "supermarket lingo" as well as science talk. I can switch between all without having to think. I can analyze where I am and who I am with to decide what is appropriate, but sometimes there is slippage. Usually I get looks like, "What are you talking about?" Sometimes I even get told to not talk that way because it's like I am trying to sound smart (usually my mom when talking about science). She sees this as me trying to assert my knowledge that she does not possess over her to make her feel less than I am, which is not the case. I am not trying to sound smart. I just forget the different communities sometimes and have trouble keeping them separate in a way that is neutral to others.

So I guess I am not always neutral as I could be.

All of this is acquired, and all of this is arbitrary. I can say I am facing an aisle, and while I mean I am pulling product forward to make it look nice and full, to someone who has no insight into this language, I am speaking Latin to a Japanese citizen. The word face has so many meanings. It can be the face of a person or part of a geometric figure. I did not know what face meant in this context until I worked for a grocery store, and even then it only came after I was promoted to a GM clerk who stocked shelves. I learned this from what people said. I was able to pick up on the meaning just as I was able to discern the terms power panel and u-boat. This is all very specific to a culture and something I picked up and now use on a semi-daily basis.

Isn't it cool when school ties in with real life?

No comments: